Tidbits - May 24 2018

  • Print



  Well, our golf team comprised of Dean Roesner, Jamie Shealy, Morgan Jones and I did not technically finish last in the SHS football golf tournament Saturday.
  That is our goal, not to win, but not to finish last.
  Actually, we did tie for last, but when the two last place teams played it off on the card, we “won” by getting a birdie on number eight. It’s normal to play it off on the card when teams tie for first. This is the first time I’ve heard of the card being used when teams tie for last ... but I’m thankful!
  I don’t know how many times Dean has played, but Morgan, Jamie and I had not played since the Gentry tournament in October. It’s hard to be successful when you play every seven months.
  We all hit some nubbers. Morgan won the prize. It’s hard to imagine someone who weighs over 250-lbs. hitting a golf ball six inches, but Morgan did it.
  As usual, our main problem was getting on the green in regulation. We all hit some pretty good drives, but  getting more than one ball on the green rarely happened.
  I do believe if we all played a few practice rounds, we could finished third or fourth from the bottom....


  I mentioned last week, we did a lot a reminiscing at our annual Mother’s Day gathering. We all could laugh now about the many injuries we all suffered while working on the farm.
  I thought our injuries were pretty “good” until Gordon Storey was in our office last Monday and told me what he and his brothers went through.
  Gordon said he fell through the roof of a barn and landed on a pitchfork. The pitchfork prongs entered the front of his shoulder and the exited the back.
  I can’t remember if a family member removed the pitchfork, or if Gordon “wore it” to Dr. Wise’s office.
  Gordon remembers Dr. Wise asking his daddy if the pitchfork was clean.
  Mr. Storey said, “Yeah. We just use it to move hay.”
  Gordon got the necessary shots, and said his shoulder was sore for awhile. I can imagine.
  Next up was Gordon’s older brother Sammy.
  The boys were building their individual forts, like kids of my generation did, because we didn’t have smart phones.
  Sammy was using a sharp hatchet, and proceeded to cut his finger off.
  The erstwhile finger was wrapped in ice and another trip was made Dr. Wise’s office.
  Dr. Wise sewed the finger back on, and it “took.” Sammy was not able to bend the finger normally for the rest of his life, but he had a finger.
  Last but not least was Joe Ben. The boys were going frog gigging, and I can’t remember if it was Ray or Sammy, but one of them was practicing lunging the frog gig at a about the same time Joe Ben was backing up,
  Joe Ben got gigged in the rear end. Since the gig had hocks on the end, there was no pulling that out before the trip to Dr. Wise’s.
  Gordon said Joe Ben didn’t want Dr. Wise to damage the gig when he removed it!
  I took a picture of our old dairy farm silos when I went to Hannah and Pierce Bowdler’s birthday party a few weeks ago.
  I put the picture on social media and explained how I used to climb the outside rungs of silo on a regular basis.
  One day I hit a wasp nest about 30-feet up. I had two choices, fall or get stung. I got stung three times, and slowly climbed back down.
  We had a “safety harness,” which was  fan belt, with a hook attached, but I never used it.
  Jamie recalled a time he, Bobby and Danny Thompson were playing at the base of the silo. Suddenly, they started getting hit in the head and about the body with something.
  Jamie said he looked up and saw Thomas and me throwing corn cobs from the top of he silo.
  Neither Thomas, nor I, remember doing this.
  I guess that is “selective” memory.


  I had the pleasure of attending 79th reunion of the Saluda High Class of 1939 Friday at Saluda Nursing Center.
  Mrs. Helen Stoudemayer Dasher and Ms. Sudelle Lott are the only two members of the class surviving. They both looked great!
  To mark the occasion, Saluda High School sent representatives from the school’s National Honor Society, who presented the members of the Class of 1939 an honorary membership in the organization.
  It tickled me when Mrs. Helen said, “Look, Sue, it took us 79 years to make the National Honor Society!”
  Macy Crawford sang a couple of songs from the 60’s. She said she didn’t know any songs from the 1930’s.
  A few weeks ago, my first cousin Mary Gene Holstein White came by the Sentinel office to give me an envelop filled with clippings and pictures her late mother, Mildred Shealy Holstein, had collected about out family.
  Mary Gene said her mother’s collection had been in her attic for 23 years, and she just recently decided to go through it all.
  Inside the envelop she gave me was Aunt Mildred’s copy of the 1939 senior edition of the Saluda High Purple & White. Yes, Aunt Mildred was a classmate of Mrs. Helen and Ms. Sudelle.
  Friday, I took Aunt Mildred’s Purple & White to the reunion.
  It’s funny. The 1939 edition of the Purple & White, was a lot like my Class of 1969’s edition. Both were typed and mimeographed (that’s a word young people have never heard), and both featured superlatives, last will and testaments, predictions, class poems and plenty of humor.
  I particularly liked this article on the senior trip to Columbia:
  “The Seniors of Saluda High School went to Columbia on a gala occasion.. One of the members of the Senior Class was to address the legislature powers of  S.C. We arrived in Columbia about 11:00 and loafed down Main and Gervais Streets until 12:15. We then went to the State House to hear our distinguished classmate, Fletcher Padget, speak. After hearing Fletcher deliver his address, we departed to partake of bowling at the Columbia Center. Then the class visited the State Penitentiary. After this visit we departed for the asylum. Lucky for the class they didn’t get to keep James. After an examination he barely passed, but with the influence of Mr. Shealy, we managed to bring him home with us. A few of the members were witnesses of the Carolina-Newberry baseball game. After the officials of the city of Columbia had expressed their desire for us to “Get Out of Town” we departed, a happy bunch, heeded for the old home town.”
  Fletcher Padget spoke to the legislature, because he won the American Legion’s National Oratorical Contest in 1939. This accomplishment earned Fletcher a trip to Hollywood where he appeared on the “Eddie Cantor Show,’ one of the most popular national radio shows at the time.
  There was another sad correlation between the Class of 1939 and 1969.
  The front page of the 1939 Purple & White was dedicated to someone, and I heard at the reunion, the young lady committed suicide the night of the Senior play. It’s been almost 80 years, but that is  heartbreaking to hear. Inside the paper, I saw the teenager had written the class song.
  I’ll never forget a Monday morning of my senior year, when our principal Boyce Todd came on the intercom to announce a member of my class had committed suicide over the weekend.
  He was a quiet young man, who had only been in Saluda a short time and was living with his uncle.
  We had no idea he had problems. When the bell rang that morning, there was complete silence as the students walked to class. The only thing you could hear were footsteps.
  It’s been almost 50 years, but that is still heartbreaking.
  I know members of the Classes of 1939 and 1969 question what we could have done differently.
  Did we miss something like the classmates of the recent school shooters? No matter how old I get, I’ll always wonder.